Server Maintenence - 04/02/2006 
Thursday, April 6, 2006, 02:32 AM
First I re-organized the servers:
- moved XXXX up so there was no gap between it and PHXxxx
- moved ATLxx01 up 1U
- moved ATLxxx01 up to the space vacated by ATLxx01
- Installed KVM switch under ATLxxxx01 and routed all the KVM cables from the servers.



KVM assigmnents:
1: PHXxxx
2: XXXX
3: ATLxx01
4: ATLxxx01
5: ATLxxxxx01
6: ATLxxxx01
7: USANTS40xxx01
8: USANTS40xxxx01

Note the more organized KVM cable bundle in the rear.



Then I installed the cable management arms on ATLxx01 and ATLxxx01
and routed those KVM cables.


I only routed 2 KVM cables from the network rack to the server rack: An extender for the keyboard, monitor, and mouse; and the line to USANTS40xxxx01. That, along with the network patch cables for the servers, is the only cable bundle routed between the two racks.



I also organized the patch cables:
Yellow - Server
Grey - Server (ILC)
Green - Downlink to switch/hub
Blue - Printer
Black - Workstation
Red - Crossover



Module A - Servers:
1: PHXxxx
2: XXXX
3: ATLxx01
4: ATLxxx01
5: ATLxxxxx01
6: ATLxxxx01
7:
8: USANTS40xxx01
9: USANTS40xxxx01
10: ATLxx01 (iLC)
11: ATLxxx01 (iLC)
12: ATLxxxxx01 (iLC)
13: ATLxxxx01 (iLC)
14:
15: Fiber to Sales/CustSvc
16: (Monitoring Port)

Module B - Network/Printers
1: Uplink to Cisco Router (ATM)
2: Uplink to [firewall] (T1)
3: Uplink to Shipping
4: Uplink to PaintLine
5: Uplink to Lab
6: Uplink to SPV Office
7: Uplink
8: Printer - HP DesignJet Plotter
9: Printer - HP LaserJet 4000N
10: Printer - HP LaserJet 4250N
11: Printer - HP LaserJet 4100TN
12: Printer - Canon iR5570
13: Printer - HP Color LaserJet 3550
14: Printer - HP LaserJet 4250
15:
16: Uplink to workbench


Module C - Workstations
Module D - Workstations
Module E - Workstations



The red cable you see is actually red flex-hose covering the fiber-optic cable. It had a split so I was easily able to slide the fiber into the hose before securing the hose to the cabinet with velcro. Since the fiber has free movement within the hose, the hose will absorb the majority of any trauma instead of the more fragile fiber.



I installed a full-lenght shelf unter the switch (in front), and the patch panel (in rear). I routed all cables through this passage, instead of along the sides of the rack. This seemed a better solution as:
- the cables could be un-bundled (making tracing the line easier)
- the tray would support the cable's weight
- the cables are protected from external damage by the rack itself (instead of being exposed on the sides)



You can see the fiber tray behind the cables



Full views of the racks together:
Front, including the console


Rear


Side